The NSS is to provide an essential link between the college campus and the surrounding community .Not only is it expected to arouse the social consciousness of the students and teachers alike but also to provide an avenue for personality development through community service.
There are one Units functioning in our college. There are two programme officers. Unit I was started in 2013. Unit II was started in 2013. There are around 100 volunteer in each unit.
THE MAIN OBJECTIVES OF NATIONAL SERVICE SCHEME (NSS)
- Understand the community in which they work
- Understand themselves in relation to their community
- Identify the needs and problems of the community and involve them in problem-solving
- Develop among themselves a sense of social and civic responsibility
- Utilise their knowledge in finding practical solutions to individual and community problems
- Develop competence required for group-living and sharing of responsibilities
- Gain skills in mobilising community participation
- Acquire leadership qualities and democratic attitudes
- Develop capacity to meet emergencies and natural disasters and
- Practise national integration and social harmony
Youth Red Cross in Mahendra Institute of Technology was established in the academic year 2008-2009. The Youth Red Cross is a group movement organized at the initial stages for students between 18 and 25 years of age within the colleges. A qualified lecturer is recognized as the leader and he is called the Programme Officer under his guidance, the students are trained and encouraged to manage the affairs of the group. At present the YRC Cell, Mahendra Institute of Technology has strength 200 students volunteers working under head of the Mr.S.RAVI.
Main Objectives of Youth Red Cross
- An awareness on the care of their own health and that of others.
- The understanding and acceptance of civic responsibilities and acting accordingly with humanitarian concern, to fulfill the same.
- To foster better friendly relationship with all without any discrimination.
- To inculcate in the Youth of our country.
The mission of the Indian Red Cross is to inspire, encourage and initiate at all times all forms of humanitarian activities so that human sufferings can be minimized and even prevented and this contribute to create climate for peace.
CELEBRATION OF SPECIAL DAYS
- Blood donation day – October,1
- World health day – April,7
- World First Aid day – September.8
- Independence day – August, 15
- Republic day - January, 26